Tuesday, January 22, 2008

This is something new for me

I am always in pursuit of new projects and mainly with needle work, I stick to what I know, which is crochet and I have not given up on this, in fact I am working on the Afghan simultaneously as I start this new project.


Socks!


I have been admiring all the pretty knitted socks I have been seeing by my flickr contacts. Chawne gave me a beginner pattern that she learned on and now am grappling with Double Pointed Needles or DPNs. I have always been intimidated by DPNS. I guess I once saw my mother knitting a hat with them and it just looked frightening to see all those sharp looking points sticking out in every direction. I have been assured that I will get used to it and it will be "a breeze".


I guess the hardest part was casting on and getting it into a round and making sure I didn't get the cast on stitches twisted. OK got past that and starting the cuff.

I was confused why I wasn't getting ribs until I figured out somewhere my K1 P1 sequence got mixed up. Start over. I am using cheap-o acrylic yarn until I can turn out something worth wearing. When I'm convinced I want to put sock knitting on my needle work agenda then I will order from the States all the necessary birch and Adi- Turbo needles. I am partial to circular needles as I am more familiar with them and they have a relatively low risk of the little ones pulling out a needle, which happened just yesterday. Knitting on DPNs is not to be done around small children for various reasons.
Here's where I am so far:

Not bad for a first time!

So I wanted to share a tutorial that I found most helpful for anyone who finds this blog and wants to start knitting socks and hasn't a personal tutor. It's from the Knitter's Review and it's a Sock Knitter's Companion. There is even a tutorial on using DPNs. Stay tuned to see if I ever get to the heel, scared of that!

2 comments:

Mandie said...

I'm a first time sock knitter too!
I'm approaching the heel turning business on my first sock....and can honestly say that I'm terrified.
I've gone toe-up using Magic Loop...cos I'm scared of DPNS too!

La Ferme de Sourrou said...

Just keep at it and you'll have a skill that means you're gifts will always be really welcome.

Lovely to see your socks growing !!!